Saturday, October 11, 2014

Proud

I don't know about your house, but general conference around here is not what I'd necessarily like it to be.  When I think of general conference I think of a peaceful time in the home where the Spirit is felt by all; it's a quiet and loving time.  BUT in reality, my boys are small boys and cannot be quiet for any amount of time, so I end up being upset and angry at them for not allowing the Spirit to reside in our home.  (which I'm aware is probably the real reason it's not there)  But this time I lowered my standards of what would happen and it turned out great.  We bought a new puzzle for Jacob to do with the big boys to help them listen (note to self Jacob will work on the puzzle until it's finished, so make it a smaller one next time).  We had mini german pancakes and hot chocolate while watching the first session and it really kicked off for a good weekend.  Even if I didn't get to listen as intently as I would have liked, I think the Spirit was there more and I can always read/listen to the talks afterwards. I was proud of us.




 We only have a tv up in our house for two occasions: general conference and the olympics.  Since our house was a complete mess, I figured we could keep the tv up for an extra day and let the boys have a public television day while I deep cleaned the house.  While they were eating breakfast they turned it on and a western came on, the boys loved it and I was sure my dad would have been proud. I know I was.
 Steven was awarded the Student of the Month for his class (we think) for making an improvement in his writing.  His teacher said she's seen Steven's love and interest grow in writing and everyday he does his best and writes great stories.  Jacob and I are beyond proud of him and his hard work.  At first he didn't understand why we were making such a big deal about it, but soon he learned to milk it for all he could.  We went to Pizza Pie Cafe for dinner to celebrate (he got a coupon there) and when he didn't get a big cup for soda just a small one he said, "I'm the student of the month and I want a big cup!"  Good try kid, but we are proud of you anyway.  When Jacob came home for lunch (I was bursting to tell him about Steven) Christopher said, "Dad! Steven's way awesome!"  He is.


*While at Pizza Pie Cafe, I came back from getting another batch of pizzas which included a dessert pizza.  I let William and Ryan have a bite of it and when I wouldn't give Ryan the whole slice he screamed at the top of his lungs. (his new tactic for when he's not happy.)  William took a big bite towards the end and with his next breath grabbed the rest of the pizza and tried to stuff it in his mouth.  We had a good laugh about both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment