Tuesday, November 22, 2011

In the Spirit of Thanksgiving



I found this video Sunday while Steven and I were browsing through our favorite Mormon Messages. It is so pertinent for this time of our lives. First, Thanksgiving is coming up and I am beyond blessed. Second, I find the words Elder Oaks speaks to be especially true, just what I need to hear.

"We should thank God for our adversities and pray for guidance in meeting them. It is all part of the plan. ... Let us give thanks for what we are and for the circumstances God has given us for our personal journey through mortality."

I love in the video that some people give answers we don't always think of. Like getting a seat on the train, simple intelligent conversation, or a bed. It makes me realize just how blessed I am, there are SO many things to be thankful for:

Laughter, my husband singing to my boys, a clean home, the smell of dinner cooking, Christopher blowing bubbles, Steven saying, "There it is" in the cutest voice possible, Jacob's hand in mine, 25 cent donuts at Macey's, walking around the block on a warmish afternoon, hot showers, a washer/dryer in my home, great finds at a thrift store.

The list is endless and that's only the "smaller" things, what about my health, family, friends, temples, a living prophet, my Savior, the scriptures, a roof over my head, money in the bank account, the priesthood in my home, tithing, and prayer?

How can I not be thankful?

"When we understand this principle, that God offers us opportunities for blessings and blesses us through our own adversities and the adversities of others, we can understand why He has commanded us again and again to “thank the Lord thy God in all things” (D&C 59:7)."
Elder Oaks

No comments:

Post a Comment