Monday, April 23, 2012

Surprise!

Last Thursday, Jacob and I set out to see the ultrasound of our new baby.  This was our first ultrasound and all I wanted to know was that our baby would be ok; I hadn't felt the baby as much as I would have liked.  For all my other kids this ultrasound was meant for us to find out the gender, but with this child I just wanted to make sure they were ok.  Plus I was positive it was a girl.  As we get there I see the woman leave who was in front of us.  You can barely tell she's pregnant and here I am looking like I'm in my 3rd trimester!  I brushed it off and we went in for our turn.  He took our information then started out low, making sure the birthing canal was free and there wasn't any signs of cancer.  He moved the wand up said, "Oh that's a surprise!"  He quickly moved it down and told me to take a deep breath.  I thought maybe I wasn't relaxed enough to get a good reading; so I did so.  Then the words that will forever change my life.

"Did we know there were TWO in there?" 

Jacob and I just looked and smiled at each other, shocked.  No we didn't know there were two in there.  We joked about it plenty, but didn't actually believe there were two there.  Then it all made sense.  That's why I'm so big and uncomfortable.  I've been feeling like I'm in my 3rd trimester not the 2nd.  I have two in there.  TWO!  It didn't take him long to realize they were the same gender, and our BOYS made it clear what that gender was!

The rest of the ultrasound was very surreal.  I was there paying attention to make sure my babies were healthy, which they are.  Both are the same size and as healthy as can be!  It's hard to tell if they'll be identical or not, but it looks that way.  We could only see one placenta and the membrane separating them, but sometimes the two placentas fuse together, which would mean fraternal twins.  We'll have to wait until they are born to actually tell.  I am relieved they are both so healthy, but my mind kept racing: can I do this?, how will we tell everyone?, can I do this?, we'll have to get another crib, car seat and who knows what else, imaging all four boys running in opposite directions at once, I'll have 4 boys under 4 and maybe under 3 if they come really early!  And in between all this was my heart telling my head,

"Heavenly Father wouldn't give them to you if He didn't think you can this."
"It will be ok.  Grandma did it, so can you."


Did you know my sweet Grandma had this same scenario?  Except her oldest was 2 1/2 when the twins were born; my dad was #2 in the line.  And truth being told, I've always wanted to be just like my Grandma when I'm her age, so I guess this is just the next step I need to take!


We are thrilled to welcome these two new additions to our families.  Of course the last few days have been an emotional roller coaster for us, but that's to be expected and will be a different post entirely.  We will go to our regular doctor, this was just an ultrasound technician, on the 1st of May to know how this will change things.  I feel like it's my first pregnancy again, I have so many questions, it's all quite knew to us.  We'll let you know how they, and us, are doing as we find out!

3 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for this post!!!!!!!! I love this story! I was so shocked to read your facebook status last week!! I am so happy for you!! I can't even believe it, but if anyone can do it, I'm positive that YOU can Cassanda! You've always been so strong and such a good example to me, and I know you will be able to handle this. Sure it won't be easy, but you'll do it because Heavenly Father wants you to, and He'll give you the strength and capacity. And you'll succeed far beyond what you ever thought you could! I'm sure of it! Congratulations again!!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just so excited for you! I can't even imagine the surprise you guys must have got at the news of having TWINS!!! You are such a wonderful family, and non better than to send two more little boys! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, and preparing for the two new little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost died when I read your announcement on FB! You don't know how excited I am for you! You are going to be a GREAT mom to 4 boys. I wish you luck. I can NOT imagine 4 boys all under the age of 4. But you are amazing and I know you're going to do a great job. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete