Friday, June 18, 2010

Last Night

Our normally sweet boy has started a not so sweet habit. Screeching. Shrieking. Screaming. What ever you call it, it's high and loud as if a 12-year-old girl is scared for her life! He closes his eyes and gives it everything he has. It's been going on for about a week and could happen anytime, if he's mad, having fun, or just bored. Until now we've been telling him no and touching his mouth with an occasional finger in the mouth to annoy him to stop. It hasn't worked. Last night we hit a wall.

Those who know my husband well, now that he is EXTREMELY sensitive to noise. He can often hear movies or music being played in the third apartment down. It's a gift. And a curse. Last night with every shrill scream Steven made, it made Jacob more and more anxious. Until we just couldn't take it anymore, something had to be done. We weren't our happy family anymore; we couldn't function like this! So Jacob looked it up on the all knowing internet; we found out Steven either had something seriously wrong with him or he's normal and will grow out of it soon.

Change of action was in order. We are now ignoring the horrible screams and praising his cute talking, we'd take even normal crying! Has it worked? Not really, I went to Winco today and what do you know the whole time he was screaming. No good. BUT somehow we've changed and can cope with it better. It's annoying yes, but we are not going out of our minds.

Which got me thinking. Isn't this just like life? We are going along so well, but then we come to a hurdle. It's hard for a while, but then we get to the point that we can no longer function. It seems all of the seams that make us up are coming unraveled and we're not sure if we can go on. You have your cry of frustration. Then magically everything looks brighter somehow. I love the way Heavenly Father molds us into who He knows we can be. He pushes us until we are about to break, then gives us a rest and lets us enjoy our life for a little bit until it's time for another growth spurt. I feel so blessed to know that I have a Heavenly Father who is there to take care of me and has promised me that I won't be given anything I can't handle. Even when I feel there is NO way to go on, my loving Heavenly Father takes me by the hand and gives me the extra energy, sanity, and emotional strength to go on. I love it! How wonderful is life! ...I can say this because Steven is asleep and not screaming. But really it's so great to know that even though it's hard now, it won't be forever. I just need to keep ignoring those screechings and someday they'll go away...hopefully sooner than later!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cassandy!! That is too bad about the babe!! He sure is adorable, though!! One of my friends just posted this on her blog, I LOVE it! I don't know if you've watched it, yet, but ya should! :) Good Things to Come!
    http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bd163ca6e9aa3210VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD&locale=0

    ReplyDelete