Thursday, June 7, 2012

Perspective

I've been thinking a lot lately about how our perspective can greatly improve our lives.  If you think of all the prophets and great men and women in history, what do they have in common?  They know why they are here.  They are able to see the big picture and have faith that is needed to keep going during the hard times and do these great tasks.  Along these lines I remember a while a go a sister in Relief Society mentioned that we have different seasons in our lives.  There are times in our lives that are dedicated to one thing or another and it is important that we keep this in mind so we don't feel guilty for not doing something in this season that was meant for another.  For example one shouldn't be upset because they can't go sledding in the summer, there is a time for that and we need to be patient until we get there.  How does this relate?

This season of my life is filled with big bellies, pb&j sandwiches, a less than tidy home, small hands grabbing at me at all times of the day, and frustrated crying -from both child and parent.  And that's ok, this will pass and I'm sure I will miss it.  I'll miss how when I ask Steven to say sorry to Christopher and give him a kiss, Christopher says, "Sorry" and then leans in for the kiss.  I'll miss Steven's non stop talking and questions (maybe).  I'll miss the way it feels to have life inside of me move for only me to feel.  I'll miss the way the boys laugh uncontrollably while they "ride on the new river train" with Jacob.  Each season is filled with goods and bads, and we should take them as they come, not wish them away.

I can often see the big picture, yes that's good, but wanting that right now, not so good.  I want to have the perfect home that is clean and tidy, but still feels comfortable.  I want to have a family that enjoys each other's company.  I want to make a wide variety of nutritious foods for my family each meal.  I want to be a better quilter, sewer, crafter, baker, family historian, and read all the great classics.  But the reality is I don't have the time or energy to do those things.  I pretty much have a small window of an hour or so each day to do things for myself, so yes I dabble in these things to make me happy, but it's not as much as I would love.

Which is where I need to remember my perspective.  There will be a time in my life when the kids are off to school that I can put a lot more energy into those things and many more.  But now is not the time, I'll have to be patient and wait.  But how lucky for me that while I wait, I get to read my favorite classic children's books with my boys.  I get to make cakes and cookies with Steven who is so willing to help.  I get to cheer for Christopher as he learns to do something new each day.  This season may not be the one where I can wear a bathing suit in public and feel great about myself, but it is a time when I can help create amazing children that will come into this world to do good.  Yes, this season in my life is pretty good.  I just need to always remember to have the right perspective.

4 comments:

  1. how is it you always chime in with something I should be learning as well? I'm having a terribly bad case of the "i'll be happy when.."'s right now, thanks for reminding me to love the now's too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, Cassanda. I'm so thankful that you are our daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really true, Cassanda! I love reading your insights! I definitely needed to read this, too! I hope that everything is going well with your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete