Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Rainy Days...

I usually really like a good stormy day, but not today. The whole day I've felt so blah, BUT I'm trying to break out of the mode of thinking and doing something kind of productive and update the blog. I've been waiting to update until I take some pictures, but I can't find the camera...so I'll have to do this without the pictures I wanted and I'll add those later. But first look at our little pumpkin a year ago. Oh my how he's grown!
Anyway I've been really into baking and trying new cooking recipes lately and I've found a few gems. First I tried these granola bars, Jacob admitted that he thought they wouldn't be that good. I'm not sure if that lack of faith was directed toward my cooking skills or the recipe....we'll say it was the recipe. BUT he loves them and they are SO easy! Although since there's peanut butter in it his acid reflex flairs it up. Does anyone know a good substitute that I could put in instead of peanut butter? Anyway here's the recipe.

No Bake Peanut Butter Granola bars

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
2 T. Real Maple syrup

1 T. canola oil
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups rolled oats
2 cups puffed brown rice cereal { I use rice krispies}
1/2 cup chopped nuts {peanuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds….your choice}
1/2 cup dried fruit {raisins, craisins, apricots, figs…..your choice}
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 tsp salt

Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with some non stick spray.
Heat the first seven ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat until bubbly and hot {approx. 4-5 minutes}. Keep stirring so as not to scorch it. In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients. Once the peanut butter mixture is melted and bubbly remove from heat and pour on top of the dry ingredients. Fold in carefully until completely incorporated. Pour into the baking dish and press evenly into the bottom of the pan. I put a sandwich baggie on my hand and use it to push the mixture into the pan so as not to get all sticky. Put in the refrigerator to cool, cut into bars or squares and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Those sound really yummy (and healthy, too)! My family would probably love them. We are big peanut butter connoisseurs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you were having a blah day, you should have called, we could have hung out! I had a blah day too this week. This recipe does look yummy, and I am always in the mood for a yummy treat, think I am going to have to try it. Had fun reading your blog, looks like you had fun witg your sisters. Aren't those weekends the best? I think so. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete