Thursday, February 6, 2014

Wisdom from Someone Who Knows

Today's biggest prompting I followed was calling my Grandma Balls.  My sister texted and reminded me that it had been 4 years since my Grandpa's passing, and said I should call or write to Grandma.  I adore my grandmother.  If I can be like anyone, it would be Eleanor Morrell Balls. I wanted to call her, but didn't want to bother her; I'm so glad I finally listened and called.  If anyone knows what I'm going through, it's grandma.  She had her 4 boys in 2 1/2 years, and knows how to take life in great stride and laughter.  I always love to talk to her and hear her perspective and memories of raising her boys.  But the best part today was when she kept making me feel like a celebrity for calling her.  She told my sister that she had the best day because I called; she was so excited to hear my voice and know I was doing well.  And the best part, I'm sure I'm not the only one she would say this to.  She's just that amazing that she makes everyone feel important and needed.  Once again, I hope to be just like her.  Today's theme for our conversation turned a lot to knowing that this stage in my life is hard, but as she looks back she doesn't remember the hard times as much as watching her boys grow and learn and the joys that come from that.  Such a good reminder and attitude to have.  Especially because this morning I felt great, I actually thought to myself: I don't feel that pregnant at all.  As I got the kids breakfast, little boy's diaper and clothes changed, dishes done, laundry started, I felt great.  Then I felt it.  My back started hurting and typically when I don't feel physically well, my emotional wellness also goes. I'm not as patient and loving to my children, but luckily this talk with grandma came and helped boost my day.  Though I guess the remainder of the day I just rested, but grandma also reminded me how important it was to listen to your body and rest when it needs to.  Such a great talk, such a great woman.

My favorite moments of the boys?
William and Ryan following each other around the house, the first carrying a toy and the other crying because he wanted it.  The next moment they'd come into the room in the reverse order but same scenario.  I know I should have stepped in and helped, but it was just so cute.
Steven brought home a book for him to "read" with me from preschool.  He surprised me and did quite well.  I also love when he asks to snuggle with me while watching a movie.
Christopher holding my phone and singing along to "The Goofy Movie".  His favorite being, Nobody Else but You.  He asks for it and then makes sure everyone in the house knows when it comes on.

1 comment:

  1. this is my favorite post ever. such great words from your grandma and such sweet moments from your day. love you lady. thanks for your example. reading this made me realize... i really can do this!

    ReplyDelete